News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

PREPARING FOR A SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW

Started by Badshah Mamun, June 21, 2012, 07:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badshah Mamun

PREPARING FOR A SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW

Successful Interviewing Tips

1.      Keep your resume short, simple and "sizzling."

2.      Always send a "thank you" note after an interview.

3.      Always fill out company applications completely.  Never say "see resume."

4.      Be prepared by role-playing questions you think might be asked on an interview.  You can NEVER be too prepared.

5.      Second interviews are just as important as the first.

6.      If you are just starting your career or haven't had much experience, tell the employer, "I am like a sponge.  I soak up information quickly.  Moreover, I haven't already developed bad work habits."

7.      Never take friends or family on an interview with you.

8.      Never smoke, even if the interviewer asks you if you would like a cigarette.

9.      Never chew gum or suck on a breath mint during an interview.  You may think it's not noticeable, but it is.

10. If the interviewer is not asking questions, it might be that he or she doesn't know what to ask.  Remember to only offer information about yourself that pertains to the position you are interviewing for.

11. Never leave the company without some sort of additional information.  You can ask, "When will a decision be made?"  "When can I expect to hear from you?"  "Will I be informed of the decision either way?" or "How many other people are interviewing for this position?"  You can even ask, "What do you think my chances are?"  Remember, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by asking the right kind of questions and showing interest.

Dress For Success Tips

Keep in mind that what you wear is as important as what you say.  Women look best in a Salower Kamiz , Saree and conservative blouse (nothing low cut or see through). Wear a moderate amount of makeup.

Men should wear a suit, long-sleeved pressed shirt, a clean tie that hangs to the belt, and shined shoes.

Suits are ideal for both men and women, because you can always take off the jacket if you are overdressed at a particular company.  It is better to overdress rather than to dress inappropriately.  Ideally, you should investigate proper attire at the company before the interview by dropping by or asking someone who works there, but that isn't always possible.

It is perfectly fine to wear the same outfit to every interview, provided that it is a conservative, well-planned outfit.

Questions to Role Play During the Interview

1.      Tell me about yourself.

Most people get tongue-tied on this question.  They don't know where to start.  Should they discuss their personal life?  Should they give dates?  Use "stick to business" as your rule of thumb and make sure you emphasize anything pertinent to the particular job you are interviewing for.

An example of an appropriate answer might go something like this:

"I am dependable and a quick learner.  I have two years' experience as an analyst.  I'm looking for a company that will give me an opportunity to use my skills while helping the company achieve its goals."

2.      Where do you see yourself one year from now?  What are your career goals?

Most people will respond with an honest answer such as, "I want to grow and advance with the company.  I'm ambitious and eventually want to be in management, moving up the corporate ladder."

That sounds OK, until you put yourself in the employer's position.  He/she is thinking, "This person wants to advance too quickly" or, "This person wants my job."  Or perhaps, "This person is not willing to do the job for which we are interviewing for as long as we need them in that position."  Employ this rule of thumb:  Be honest, but be generic.

Consider:

"After a year with the company, I'll probably be looking for additional responsibility because I'm a person who enjoys a challenge.  I would like to be paid accordingly for that responsibility but, most important, I'm looking for a company I can be with for years to come."

3.  What kind of salary are you looking for?

This is the most dreaded question of all and yet one of the most important.  There are two good responses:  "I have been interviewing for positions ranging between $x and $z.  However, finding the right company is really most important to me, because I plan to be with that company a long time."

Or:  "I'm currently at $x, so I'd like to at least make a lateral move.  Finding the right company for my future, however, is what is most important to me."

Both of these responses give a figure, but they also show some flexibility so you don't lose out on an opportunity.  Your goal is to get the offer.  You can always accept or reject it, but without an offer, you won't even have a decision to make.

4.       Would you consider less?

The best tactic here is to respond with a question.

"When are your salary reviews?"  Or:

"What figure did you have in mind?"  Or:

"A lot depends on your benefit package.  Could you explain that to me?"

Notice, asking a question gets you out of the "hot seat" and back in control.

5.  What did you like most about your last job?

This answer should fit the job for which you are applying.  In other words, you shouldn't say, "A Fortune 500 atmosphere" if interviewing with a small company.  Or "interaction with co-workers" if the job requires working alone.

6.  Why did you leave?

Be truthful, but if it's too negative, such as a personality conflict, think of another way to say it.  For example:  "I felt I had stagnated professionally and, after discussing the situation with my boss, we both felt I would have more opportunity with another company.  It was a mutual parting."

If you quit or were terminated and there was new management, you could also mention that there was a lot of turnover at that time.

Source: http://www.jobsa1.com/carrer/prepare.htm
Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun (Badshah)
Member, Skill Jobs
operation@skill.jobs
www.skill.jobs