News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

An introduction to diversity HR

Started by arif, April 19, 2017, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arif

An introduction to diversity HR

The concept of diversity in the workforce is not a new conversation, and in some cases, there may be an element of oh no, not this again. But if you're watching this movie, I'm hoping it's because you're ready to harness the power of diversity for the good of your company. There has been some fatigue around the topic of diversity, and rightfully so. There has been lots of talk with no action, and some of the talk hasn't been positive. So, while this is not a labor law course, I wouldn't be doing the subject justice if I didn't mention the fact that in the United States there are legally protected categories of people, and those include gender, race, national origin, color, age, veteran status, and disability.

Some states have even expanded those protected categories to include sexual orientation, medical condition, and additional protections for people of all ages. But outside of the United States, legal protections can be extended further based on additional characteristics. So, in light of our global workforce, it is important to know the laws of your geographic region. In the Exercise Files, you'll find a chart called The Four Layers of Diversity. It demonstrates more than 20 types of diversity across four categories.

Diversity has different implications in different areas of the world and even in different areas of your own company. So, I'd like to focus you back onto the application of diversity in recruiting. What did you do to get your job? How long have you had your current job? What process did you have to go through to get hired? Did you enjoy the experience? Were you referred in by a friend? If you had to look for a job tomorrow, would you use the same process you guide your candidates through, or would you take a different approach? I know my approach would be different because I'm aware of the real-world application of recruiting and hiring, and it's this perspective that will help you understand why you should implement a diversity recruiting process and improve the overall recruiting and hiring experience for all candidates.

Think of all the road blocks that can be put in the way of a candidate, or interview requirements that can be bypassed if you really like them. Think of all the skills and experience that become nice to have instead of required. Think of the ways that you can help a candidate get their foot in the door when you really want them to get the job. Simply acknowledging this kind of bias exists will help you stay committed to preventing it from creeping into your diversity recruitment process. It sounds overly simple, but sometimes the smallest change has the biggest impact.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/human-resources-diversity-recruiting/an-introduction-to-diversity