News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Common Questions and Universal Themes

Started by Badshah Mamun, June 18, 2012, 09:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badshah Mamun

Common Questions and Universal Themes
by Nancy Schuman

Almost every job-search resource contains a list of common interview questions. What makes this book unusual is the emphasis it places on using the resume as your foundation for identifying themes to address when answering these and all questions.

Basically, interviewers determine through very special questions and answers whether you have the potential to succeed. Because potential can be a mercurial concept and very difficult to measure, much of the interview process is subjective. No matter how difficult to predict, it is a process that is easy to prepare for. You just have to translate past actions into words and, using appropriate tone, project confidence as well as your knowledge of self and of job-specific qualifications.
Behavioral Interviews

Past behaviors are cited on your resume. Your ability to connect your past to the future and to your desired goal will be the basis upon which your interviewing skills will be judged. In fact, a popular interviewing trend these days is called behavioral interviews. This technique allows interviewers to quantify and objectify a traditionally subjective process. It is based on the principle that states that past behavior is the best predictor of future performance. Moreover, more recent behavior is a better predictor of future performance than older behavior, and trends in behavior are better predictors than isolated incidents.

Interviewers present ?what did you do when? scenarios or ask you to identify past incidents when you used certain behaviors to reach a goal. Before the interview, a behavioral interviewer determines the behaviors that are desired. Basically, the interviewer arrives with a pre-established checklist for determining if you have the qualities associated with success in a particular job. Be prepared for this, and don't get rattled by any open-ended questions. Note taking by the interviewer is not unusual, so don't interpret it as negative or positive. Interviewers may seek clarification of or contradiction in your statements by continually probing, so don't become rattled or express frustration.

No matter the style, whether it's conversational, traditional, or behavioral, a review of common questions is extremely helpful. Attempting to memorize answers can do more harm than good, so please use the list to stimulate your thoughts and inspire you to share ideas effectively during interviews. You might ask a friend, family member, or peer to select five and ask them aloud, initiating a role-play interview. Hearing the questions as well as your answers, rather than just thinking about responses, is valuable.

Traditional Interview Questions

To maximize your use of this list, after you review the general as well as behavioral queries, identify a top-five list of questions that relate to a specific job matching your goals. Then conduct a practice session, having a friend or family member ask you these questions. Remember, there are no right answers to particular questions. Responses during an interview must seem well conceived, yet spontaneous. Think of this interaction as a conversation, not an inquisition. It is best to complete this exercise aloud, even if you are doing so alone.

Why are you interested in this particular field of employment?

What academic or career achievements are you most proud of?

Why did you choose your major, and how does it relate to your goals?

What classes did you find most stimulating, and did they nurture job-connected skills?

What would you like to be doing in five years?

What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

How would you describe yourself and how would others describe you?

How would you characterize career-related success?

What are your three most significant employment or school-related achievements?

When did you use persuasive skills or sales talents?

Why should we hire you?

What are your long-term career goals?

How have your academic experiences to date prepared you for a career, and what are your future academic goals?

What would you do differently with regard to academic or career experiences?

What was your most difficult decision to date, and how did you go about making it?

Why did you attend your alma mater?

What do you think it takes to succeed in the job you are being interviewed for?

What lessons have you learned from your failures or mistakes?

What are your geographic preferences, and are you willing to relocate?

What concerns do you have with regard to this job/academic program and our organization/school?

How would you describe this opportunity to friends and family members?

What additional information do you need to determine if this is the right opportunity for you?

What motivated you to first contact us?

Non-Traditional Interview Questions

Some interviewers like to rattle candidates a bit to see how they think on their feet. They may even want to assess whether you have a sense of humor or how creative you can be. While offbeat questions often seem totally irrelevant, some interviewers feel they gain a better sense of the individual by asking someone what their favorite book was as a child or how their clothes closet is organized at home. There really is no right or wrong answer to these wildcard questions, so just be yourself.

Who would you want to play you in a movie about your life?

If you could pick someone from history to have dinner with, who would it be?

If you won the lottery, what would you do next?

You become shipwrecked on an island. You have food, water, and fire. What other three things would you want to have with you?

If you were a super hero, what super powers would you have?

Behavioral Interview Questions

Behavioral questions include the following:

Describe what happened when you faced problems at work that tested your coping skills. What did you do?

Give an example of a time when you could not participate in a discussion or could not finish a task because you did not have enough information.

Give an example of a time when you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision.

Tell me about when you used communication skills in order to get an important point across.

Tell me about a job experience when you had to speak up and tell others what you thought or felt.

Give me an example of when you felt you were able to motivate coworkers or subordinates.

Tell me about an occasion when you conformed to a policy even though you did not agree with it.

Describe a situation in which it was necessary to be very attentive to and vigilant about your environment.

Give me an example of a time when you used your fact-finding skills to gain information needed to solve a problem; then tell me how you analyzed the information and came to a decision.

Tell me about an important goal you've set and tell me about your progress toward reaching this goal.

Describe the most significant written document, report, or presentation you've completed.

Give me an example of a time when you had to go above and beyond to get a job done.

Give me an example of a time when you were able to communicate successfully with another person, even when the individual may not have personally liked you.

Describe a situation in which you were able to read another person effectively and guide your actions by your understanding of his or her individual needs or values.

Specifically, what did you do in your last job in order to plan effectively and stay organized?

Describe the most creative work-related project you have completed.

Give me an example of a time when you had to analyze another person or a situation in order to be effective in guiding your action or decision.

What did you do in your last job to contribute toward a teamwork environment? Be specific.

Give an example of a problem you faced on the job and how you solved it.

Describe a situation when you positively influenced the actions of others in a desired direction.

Tell me about a situation in the past year when you dealt with a very upset customer or coworker.

Describe a situation in which others within your organization depended on you.

Describe your most recent group effort.

Describe the most challenging person you've interacted with and how you dealt with him or her.

Questions You Can Ask Potential Employers

Questions you might ask potential employers during an employment interview or during a preinterview information conversation include the following:

How would you describe the job in terms of day-to-day roles and responsibilities?

What qualities are you seeking in a candidate?

What type of person would most likely succeed in these roles?

What kind of performance or production level would exceed your expectations for this position?

What should I expect of myself over the first few months on the job?

How will my performance be judged, and by whom?

Whom should I use as a role model for this position and would it be appropriate to contact this person?

What characteristics does it take to succeed within this organization and within this position?

What are the best things about the job and the most challenging requirements of the position?

Who would have highest expectations of me, or be the one(s) who would be most difficult to impress?

What is the typical career path and time frame associated with career development?

How will I be trained, and how can I appropriately seek skills enhancement?

Who last served in this position, and what is he or she doing now?

What goals do you have for the person who will serve in this job?

What project would you expect to be completed first, and what would be involved?

Asking questions of your potential employer reiterates your interest in the open position. It shows you are trying to visualize yourself in this position and determining whether it will be a good fit for you.

Source: http://www.netplaces.com/resume/resumes-as-interview-preparation-and-motivation-tools/common-questions-and-universal-themes.htm
Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun (Badshah)
Member, Skill Jobs
operation@skill.jobs
www.skill.jobs