News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Installing your tracking tag- Google Analytics Essential Trainin

Started by Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU), April 19, 2017, 09:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)

Installing your tracking tag- Google Analytics Essential Trainin

- Once you finish setting up your account, you're going to be taken to this screen, which includes your tracking code. And this is the code that you'll need to copy and paste into every page you want to track on your website. Now, if you didn't find this page, or you left after the sign-up process completed, to get here, you'll choose "Admin" from the top of the screen after logging into your "Analytics" account, and then verify the "ACCOUNT" that you've selected, here on the left, the "PROPERTY" here in the center, and below the "PROPERTY", you'll find the third link is labeled "Tracking Info". I'll select that and then choose "Tracking Code" from the menu that appears.

Here is, again, the same page that we saw earlier. This is your tracking code. You'll notice here that you can click into the box, and Google's going to select the entire "tracking code". And then you can simply use apple-c on a MAC, or control-c on a PC, to copy that to your clipboard and then paste it all throughout your site. You can also send that over to your web developer, if you have one, and ask them to install it for you. Now there's some other implementations that you can read about below. You can use a "PHP Implementation", a "Dynamic Content Implementation", and if you're using the "Google Tag Manager", that's a great place to install this as well.

If this is your first time adding code of this nature to your site, it might be worth it to explore and set up "Google Tag Manager". "Google Tag Manager" allows you to add more tags to your site beyond just "Analytics", without the need to add multiple snippets to your code again and again. We'll first take a look at how to add this script to your HTML code, and then I'll show you how to do it via "Google Tag Manager". I've already gone ahead and copied this code to my clipboard, so I'm going to go over into Sublime editor, which is a HTML editor, and we're going to take a look at an example of some basic HTML.

Let's say you have a small website of five to six HTML pages. You would open up each HTML file, and you'll place the script that you copied directly above the ending head tag, here labeled "/head" in line six. I'll go ahead and paste the code. You can see the information that Google associates here. And I would simply save this and re-upload it to my web server. Now if you're using WordPress, you have the option to simply include your google tracking ID to add this to your site.

And the tracking ID is this unique number, starting with a U-A, and that stands for "Universal Analytics". I'm going to go back to our "Website tracking", and here you'll see, again, that "Tracking ID". So if you're using a WordPress plugin, or another site that has a tracking ID field, you can simply copy and paste this, and paste it in to that "Tracking ID" section. Now if you're using "Google Tag Manager", you'll simply login to your tag manager, and then choose "Add new tag" from the option in the upper left hand corner.

First thing first is you'll choose your product, in this case, "Google Analytics". You'll choose the "Tag Type", and then you can "Configure the Tag". And here's where you'll add that "Tracking ID". You can review if you'd like to "Enable Display Adversiting Features". You'll choose the "Track Type", and you can even adjust settings by selecting down below. From here, I'll choose "Continue". And then you'll need to decide how you want this tag to "Fire". Now in most cases, you want the tag to "Fire On All Pages", so I'll select that, and then choose "Create Tag".

Google's going to give me an option to name the tag. I'll do that, and choose "Save". And from there, we would go ahead and publish this to our Google tag "Container", and it will become active all throughout our site. Whether you install the "tracking code" via copying and pasting the script onto every section of your site, using the tracking ID within WordPress, or using Google Tag Manager, you'll want to come back to your "Tracking Code" page, which we found, again, in the "Admin" section of "Google Analytics", and review the status.

Here, Google's now indicating that the tracking is not installed. And this lets me know there's a problem. You wanna come back until you see the status change to let you know that tracking is working and data is being collected. You can also go to the "Reporting" section of your "Analytics" account, and to the left hand side, choose "Real-Time", and then "Overview". If you visit your site, you should see the number "0" tick to one if you are the only active user on the site. If this is staying at "0", it means that you're tracking is not working and you'll need to investigate exactly what's wrong.

It's really that simple to get "Google Analytics" configured and set up. And after you install the tracking, you'll be ready to go right away.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/google-analytics-essential-training/installing-your-tracking-tag
Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)
Asst. Administrative Officer and Apprentice
Daffodil International University
102/1, Shukrabad, Mirpur Road, Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1207.
Cell: +8801671-041005, +8801812-176600
Email: reyed.a@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd