News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Seven Principles of Effective Public Speaking

Started by Nipa Sarker, September 27, 2018, 10:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipa Sarker

When we watch celebrities, politicians, or business leaders speak on television or in public, they seem so at ease that we may wonder: are great speakers made, or are they just born that way? While it is true that some individuals are born with this gift, many effective public speakers have trained themselves to be so. Either they have received formal media training or they have delivered so many presentations that over time they've learned what works for them. So, what is the true secret to effective public speaking?
Here are seven principles of public speaking that I've developed in my role as a media coach. Keep them in mind the next time you find yourself presenting before a group.

Perception: Stop trying to be a great "public" speaker.
People want to listen to someone who is interesting, relaxed, and comfortable. In the routine conversations we have every day, we have no problem being ourselves. Yet too often, when we stand up to give a speech, something changes. We focus on the "public" at the expense of the "speaking." To become effective at public speaking, you must do just the opposite: focus on the speaking and let go of the "public."

Think of it as a conversation between you and the audience. If you can carry on a relaxed conversation with one or two people, you can give a great speech. Whether your audience consists of two people or two thousand and whether you're talking about the latest medical breakthrough or what you did today at work, be yourself; talk directly to people and make a connection with them.

Perfection: When you make a mistake, no one cares but you.
Even the most accomplished public speaker will make a mistake at some point. Just keep in mind that you'll notice more than anyone in your audience. The most important thing you can do after making a mistake during a presentation is to keep going. Don't stop and—unless the mistake was truly earth shattering—never apologize to the audience for a minor slip. Unless they are reading the speech during your delivery, the audience won't know if you left out a word, said the wrong name, or skipped a page. Because "to err is human," a mistake can work for you, because it allows you to connect with your audience. People don't want to hear from someone who is "perfect;" they will relate much more easily to someone who is real.
Visualization: If you can see it, you can speak it.
Winners in all aspects of life have this in common: they practice visualization to achieve their goals. Sales people envision themselves closing the deal; executives picture themselves developing new ventures; athletes close their eyes and imagine themselves making that basket, hitting that home run, or breaking that record.

The same is true in public speaking. If you've read "10 Powerful Body Language Tips" then you know how anxiety can impact presentation skills. The best way to fight anxiety and to become a more comfortable speaker is to practice in the one place where no one else can see you—your mind. If you visualize on a consistent basis, you'll prepare your mind for the prospect of speaking in public, and pretty soon you'll conquer any feelings of anxiety.

Discipline: Practice makes perfectly good.
Your goal is not to be a perfect public speaker. There is no such thing. Your goal is to be an effective public speaker. Like anything else in life, it takes practice to improve those public speaking skills. We too often take communication for granted because we speak to people everyday. But when your prosperity is directly linked to how well you perform in front a group, you need to give the task the same attention as if you were a professional athlete. Remember, even world champion athletes practice every day. Try taking a class where you practice giving speeches.

Description: Make it personal.
Whatever the topic, audiences respond best when the presenter can personalize their message. It's a terrific way to get intimate with large audiences. Take the opportunity to put a face on the facts of your presentation. People like to hear about other people's experiences—the triumphs, tragedies, and everyday humorous anecdotes that make up their lives. Telling stories will give you credibility, and help your listeners engage more often. Whenever possible, insert a personal-interest element in your public speaking. This technique will make your listeners warm up to you, but it will also do wonders at putting you at ease by helping you overcome any lingering nervousness. After all, on what subject is your expertise greater than on the subject of yourself?

Inspiration: Speak to serve.
For a twist that is sure to take much of the fear out of public speaking, take the focus off yourself and shift it to your audience. After all, the objective is not to benefit the speaker but to benefit the audience, through your speaking skills teaching, motivation, or entertainment. So, in all your preparation and presentations, you should think about your purpose. How can you help your audience members achieve their goals?

Anticipation: Always leave 'em wanting more.
One of the most valuable lessons I have learned from my years of communication skills training is that when it comes to public speaking, less is usually more. I don't think I've ever left a gathering and heard someone say, "I wish that speaker had spoken longer." On the other hand, I can imagine how many speakers probably can't count the times they've thought, "I'm glad that speech is over. It seemed to go on forever!" So, surprise your audience. Always make your presentation just a bit shorter than anticipated.
If you've followed the first six principles outlined here you already have their attention and interest, and it's better to leave your listeners wishing you had spoken for just a few more minutes than squirming in their seats waiting for your speech finally to end.

https://www.amanet.org/training/articles/seven-principles-of-effective-public-speaking.aspx