News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

How do you answer in an interview when asked "what is your weakness"?

Started by Shahriar Tasjid, September 27, 2018, 07:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shahriar Tasjid

It's a great question because everyone gets this wrong. Most people replied to this question all the time in interviews, "I care too much," or, "I work too hard." Really?
Experts recommended the following instead.

Step one, know your weaknesses. Know them intimately, because every day they hold you back and limit your impact. Then plot a course to improve or supplement yourself in those areas. You're conflict avoidant? Practice productive conflict every day to build up your comfort. You're an introvert? Study and practice the tools of influence. You don't understand finance? Read a book on finance and ask a friend in accounting to coach you.

Step two, when asked in an interview for your weaknesses, tell the truth. Admit your skill gaps and share what steps you have taken -- and will continue to take -- to improve in these areas.

When employer hiring, they are looking for someone who is self-aware and coachable. Suppose one company's core values is "Get Better every day." Someone who knows her deficits and is on it is someone they know is going to continue to improve and grow in their career. By far, your greatest weakness is going to be the one you don't know you have yet — Employer wants to hire someone who is going to grow beyond that next limitation.

Let's try it.

"My greatest weakness is that I don't take enough credit when I do great work."

"We both know that's not a weakness. Can you give me a real weakness, please? I want to get to know you better."

"Ok, I have always been terrified of public speaking. But I know it is a skill that is essential for leaders and will hold me back from the next levels of management. I have committed myself to become a good public speaker and have made real progress. I have read three books on the topic and joined Toastmasters, an organization that provides opportunities to learn and practice speaking in front of others. Last night I did my third presentation and was really proud of the results. I still get nervous and have a lot more work to do, but I am going to nail this by the end of the year."

Source: www.quora.com