News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

How to Get Real World Experience

Started by Monirul Islam, May 14, 2018, 02:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monirul Islam

A recurring theme in entry level job search is the lack of experience factor. "Where do I get experience if no one is willing to hire me?" Many students focus exclusively on seeking formal internships as the only path to gaining resume experience. While that is the ideal and should be your first level focus, do not limit yourself exclusively to formal internships, especially if you are in your Freshman or Sophomore year. As a Hiring Manager, I look at any and all experience you may have accumulated to date, whether full-time or part-time, paid or unpaid.

Work experience makes you more marketable as a job candidate; it also gives you the opportunity to gain greater understanding about your chosen field. You will be able to find out in advance about many of the positives and negatives. Then you can truly enter your field with your eyes wide open. Or step back early from what might have been a major career mistake. Employers are not only looking for experience, but the right experience.

So as you approach the task of gaining real-world experience, do it from a "sponge" perspective—be ready to soak up every bit of information that comes your way. Full-time or part-time. Paid or unpaid. Worker or observer.

Internship Success
What They Never Tell You about Internships
The Volunteer Intern Technique
The Special Project Technique
The Trying on for Size Technique
The Shadowing Technique
Informational Interviewing
The Company Interviewing Technique
Using Computer Experience to Your Advantage
Help Wanted in Twelve Different Flavors

Source: https://collegegrad.com/jobsearch/real-world-experience