News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

How to Gear Up for a Good Appraisal

Started by Badshah Mamun, June 24, 2012, 08:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badshah Mamun

How to Gear Up for a Good Appraisal

Annual performance appraisal is a great way to advance one?s career goals.  One, it presents an undistorted image of your work. Two, it?s a good occasion to have a candid conversation with your boss. You can figure out if you have achieved the goals you set out to at the beginning of the year, whether the company believes you are handling your duties effectively and the key skills you need to hone.

However, reviewing your own performance can be tricky. Here?s how you can rev up your performance review.

How do I rate myself objectively?

You?ll need to be more objective about the assignments you have done over the year. ?A good way to maintain objectivity is to quantify the work you do and benchmark it against that of your peers,? says LK Gupta, vice-president, marketing, LG India. It may be hard for you to do so, but it?s the best way to know where you figure in the rating scale. How many issues did your colleagues solve vis-?-vis the problems that cropped up on your plate? Did they complete more successful projects than you? List out your output as well as that of your peers, the good as well as the bad, along with the feedback you have received from customers and seniors. This will provide a comprehensive view of whether you should rate your skill a meagre 1 or a spectacular 5. Don?t shy away from giving yourself the highest rating, but provide substantial proof to back it up.

Do I need to acknowledge my mistakes?

Your first instinct will be to brush everything under the carpet, but rein it in. Owning up to goof-ups is the wiser step as it proves you have an IQ level that doesn?t hover in the single digits, to realise when you have erred. Secondly, a few bruises are testament to the fact that you?ve done some rounds at the workplace and have learnt something. Plus, honesty is better than an inflated ego.

Should I shoulder the responsibility of a team member?s shoddy work?

We are all plagued with colleagues, who exasperate, irritate and, unfortunately, lower the performance bar. So, how do you ensure that his indolent attitude towards work doesn?t blemish your spotless record? Jot down all the feats and failures of your team, but do not disparage the colleague. It?s the team leader?s job to sift through the chaff. You should stick to highlighting your achievements. If you have been picking up the slack too often for the colleague, mention it as an extra responsibility.

What if the boss?s view differs from mine?

Personal interaction with the boss is the reality check you needed, and the hot seat will probably make hell seem a wonderful winterland. When the boss begins to question the sparkling self-appraisal, don?t squirm and never be argumentative. ?You need to carry on a dialogue, not hold a confession session. If you disagree with him on something, fortify your statements with solid facts,? says E Balaji, MD & CEO, Ma Foi Randstad. This is also an opportune moment to bring up issues that you may be uncomfortable penning down or which may seem frivolous, such as asking for a flexible schedule or a new software. Here?s also when your career path for the next year will take a more concrete shape.

Can I ask for a raise?

Yes, you may ask for one, but you can?t demand it. Ask the old-timers about the routine in this regard. The direction of your interaction with the boss will be a good gauge to broaching the subject or hinting at a promotion. It?s hardly sensible if you bring these up when the boss is pricking holes in your self-appraisal. But if the conversation seems favorable, steer it towards the salary you would like or your next designation. Be realistic, the boss won?t be able to sign the papers if tears of mirth are blurring his vision.

Source: http://blog.timesjobs.com/2012/04/how-to-gear-up-for-a-good-appraisal/
Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun (Badshah)
Member, Skill Jobs
operation@skill.jobs
www.skill.jobs