News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

3 Career Mistakes You're Probably Making if You're "Meh" About Your Job

Started by bbasujon, April 25, 2017, 02:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbasujon

1. You Turn Down Networking Opportunities Too Quickly

Some of you might be skittish about rocking the boat at your current company. And there might be a few of you who just can't find the motivation to meet new people outside of working hours.

But in either case, it's surprisingly common for folks who are OK with their current roles to turn down opportunities. "There's no point," you might say, "Why would I go out of my way to meet someone for coffee when I'm not looking?"

However, there are two things you need to remember. First, no matter what anyone tells you, networking meetings don't have to go on and on forever. But more importantly, you might be turning down a chance to hear about a more exciting job at a company you've always wanted to join.

No guarantees, of course. But if you keep turning down your contact's invitations for coffee, you're only stunting your own career growth.

2. You're Not Looking Around at What Else Might be Out There

I'm going to let you in on what my life was like a few years ago when I felt that my job was not great, but fine for that period of my life. (Spoiler: It's not very exciting). I'd go to work, get through my to-do list, order dinner from the cafe around the corner from my apartment, and then go to bed at a not-so-reasonable hour. That was it.

And for a while, I thought I could stay satisfied sticking to that dull routine for a few years. The only problem with that thinking was that it would mean I'd be sticking to that monotonous routine for a few years. And even though I liked the people I worked with, that was an incredibly sobering thought.

But, for many individuals who are OK with their current job, that's an easy (and dangerous) trap to fall into. I'm not suggesting that you throw yourself into an intense job search this second, but if you're not keeping tabs on what else might be available, you might spend way too much time feeling just "meh" about how your career is going.

Source: https://www.themuse.com/advice/3-career-mistakes-youre-probably-making-if-youre-meh-about-your-job