News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Advice From a Former Follower: How to Stop Following the Herd

Started by bbasujon, April 22, 2017, 09:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbasujon

How to Kick the Lemming Mentality

Coming to terms with the fact that you don't want the same path everyone else does is easy—but coming to terms with the fact that you're going to have to break away to do your own thing is not. Many people feel guilty, scared, or self-doubting. Their inner voices whisper, "What do they know that I don't?"

I've been there. And I've learned that there are a few ways you can silence those voices—and follow the path that's right for you.

Get Positive Reinforcement From People Who Have Successfully Left the Herd

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes, wrote 60 stories about the detective. He started out, however, as a physician, practicing for years before eventually leaving the field to focus full-time on his writing. You likely know someone who left marketing to become a nurse, or who gave up a promising law career to teach. Pick their brains to find out how they successfully saw beyond "what everyone else was doing."

Recruit a Team of Supporters

While we all want honesty from our friends, we also want them to boost our flagging spirits. Surround yourself with people who see the potential in what you want to do and support your desire to find what will make you happy and successful. View them as your board members, and ask them to let you bounce ideas around. Better yet, ask for their thoughts on what you should be doing. What are you great at—better at than anyone else? What interests and passions do they think you should pursue?

Start Exploring Your Options

Instead of trying to jump into the "right" career early in life, give yourself the flexibility to try different paths, and eliminate them from your options when they turn out to be wrong. Are you considering entrepreneurship? Start a business. Interested in the corporate world? Get an internship. Don't put it off—start today. Get out there in the world and determine whether you like that path.

I started out by jumping on the finance bandwagon, but it didn't take me long to realize I didn't want to work in this industry. Then, I followed another crowd into consulting. Although I enjoyed the company I worked for, I soon realized I was on the wrong path again. After giving the big organizations a try, I realized that I preferred being able to see the results of my efforts in a direct way.

At that point, I rediscovered entrepreneurship, where I'm hands-on and able to see the growth of my company, and that's where I've been ever since. While I've always been interested in starting and growing small businesses, it took delving into the corporate life to discover that I was more attuned to the challenges of working with a startup.

So, here's my biggest advice to you: If you're thinking about entering a field that everyone else seems to being joining, take the time to consider your options. Do research. Seek out mentors. Do everything you can to meet people who have been involved in the fields that interest you, and talk to them. Ask them questions.

Most importantly, remember that to find your true passion, sometimes you have to zig when everyone else zags. But that's OK. This is your life. Choose your own direction.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/advice-from-a-former-follower-how-to-stop-following-the-herd