News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Understand the 21st century workplace

Started by Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU), April 21, 2017, 12:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)

Understand the 21st century workplace

- A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, you get a degree, create a resume, find a job listing, write a cover letter, snail mail the resume and the cover letter, and then wait for a phone call inviting you in for an interview. If you're of a certain age, you can remember this. If you're Gen X, Y or Z, ask your parents to reminisce. The working world the past generations knew no longer exists. Like payphones, transistor radios, and black and white television, they are symbols of a bygone era.

Corporate loyalty is gone. Companies for the most part, don't offer jobs or benefits. They need temp workers for projects. Degrees are necessary but insufficient. Resumes, though also necessary, are seldom read. I know because I hire people. Resumes have been augmented with infographic resumes, personal websites and LinkedIn profiles. Cover letters are also seldom read. It's estimated that 80 percent of all job openings never get posted.

I find most of the people I hire through personal contacts. It's a new world of work. All of us our freelancers, moving our skill set and network of contacts from one gig or project to the next. Sometimes lasting only a day or two. Others keeping us busy for years, but always moving on. Always hustling for the next client. Here's the secret: it's the same as it ever was. Most people get work because they know someone. People still hire who they know or they hire people who've been referred by someone they know and trust.

Part of the reason this is still how it's done is because we're wired 24/7. Bosses and hiring managers are victims of information overload. They simply don't have time to post jobs, read resumes, and interview strangers. They'll end up hiring not necessarily the best candidate, but someone who's been presold or vetted by themselves or their colleagues. Someone who fits with the team, who's good enough. Someone they can trust and who they'll be able to get along with during the many, many hours they'll spend working together.

This may not be what you want to hear, but I've spent many years as a college professor and career coach and really, this is how things work. The good news is that you can grow your network and make new connections to get the work you want. I'm going to show you how.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/creating-a-career-plan/understand-the-21st-century-workplace
Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)
Asst. Administrative Officer and Apprentice
Daffodil International University
102/1, Shukrabad, Mirpur Road, Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1207.
Cell: +8801671-041005, +8801812-176600
Email: reyed.a@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd