News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

12 Different Strategies for Dealing With a Boss Who Plays Favorites

Started by bbasujon, April 20, 2017, 09:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbasujon

1. Behave Normally

Act as if your boss is not playing favorites. The worst thing to do is react in such a way that puts you on your boss' bad side. Assumptions can be deadly! While you may believe you're not the favorite [team member], that doesn't necessarily make you the least favorite either. Avoid becoming your boss' least favorite by reacting negatively to your manager's behavior.

Avery Blank

2. Improve Yourself

The best you can do with any boss is clarify what he or she expects, do your best to deliver, and get feedback regularly. Focus on doing good work and improving yourself. Bad boss behaviors are usually noticed by others; trust that good companies have management systems in place to catch and correct these situations.

Bruce Eckfeldt

3. Self-Promote

Understand the unique role you play on the team, and go the extra mile to act professional, thorough, and prompt in all deliveries. Advocate for yourself by requesting meetings, proposing new ideas for the team, and demonstrating respect and appreciation for your boss. Don't allow yourself to get distracted by feelings of neglect, which will only hold you back.

Ashley Crouch

4. Take Control

Make your ambitions known to your boss using clear, straightforward communication, 'My intention is to receive a promotion this year. The project Sarah has been assigned to is the type of work I'd like to be doing. What can I do to set myself up to be selected for similar assignments in the near future?'

Melody Wilding

5. Emulate Your Boss

When I was put on a performance improvement plan and felt like my every action was being monitored and judged, I emulated my boss' work style as best as possible and acted pre-emptively. For example, I worked in sales, and before my boss could ask me how many meetings I had booked for the week, I had already sent her an email letting her know what my week looked like.

Rajiv Nathan

6. Toss Aside Emotion

When a boss plays favorites, it usually strikes an emotional chord in us. Emotions cloud our vision—especially in the workplace. Take your emotional blinders off, and strategically evaluate the favorite to see if there's anything he or she is doing exceptionally well that you too can implement. No one said a boss can't have more than one favorite.

Melody Godfred

7. Build the Relationship

Continue to do excellent, high-quality work and build a relationship with your boss. Work on building a rapport and be confident in your abilities without needing someone else's constant approval.

Anna Runyan

8. Find a Mentor

Mentors can help you explore other avenues within the organization and find the best fit for your skill set. And, if your mentor can relate, he or she can hopefully guide you toward honing in on your skills, and coaching you on how to best get noticed by your boss and other leaders within the organization.

Allison Tatios

9. Take the High Road

Badmouthing the boss or your co-workers won't help and could make matters worse. Any signs of anger or bitterness will reflect badly on you. If there are projects or assignments that interest you, take the time to speak to your supervisor about why you should take them on, instead of stewing in the less-than-ideal situation.

Heidi Ravis

10. Maintain a Neutral Attitude

Be consistent about performing at your best with a neutral attitude (you don't want to be desperate or a brown-noser). Find a point of connection (e.g., shared personal interests, things in common), and try to cultivate it to generate more favorable attention, help you stand out, and, ultimately, improve the situation.

Kristina Leonardi

11. Do Your Research

Before you discuss the situation with your boss or HR, think carefully about what's going on, and consider getting candid feedback from your peers. Why are you being overlooked? What are the other employees doing differently? Don't lose your cool and speak badly about your perceived "favorites;" rather, listen with an open mind so that the conversations leave you with actionable outcomes.

Ryan Kahn

12. Ask for a Favor

Ask for a small, easy-to-deliver favor. The Benjamin Franklin Effect that says if someone does a favor for you, he or she will feel more favorably toward you as a result. Our brains like to justify our behaviors, so when your supervisor does a favor for you, her subconscious will convince her that she did the favor for you because she likes you. Kindness toward others makes people feel good about themselves as well, so your favor will be a double whammy: She'll feel better about herself, and about you.