News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

How to focuse on development

Started by arif, April 19, 2017, 11:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arif

Focusing on development

If it were up to me, I'd change the name of the yearly evaluation or yearly appraisal to the yearly performance discussion. The term performance discussion doesn't imply something positive or negative. It just states a topic. Performance. In contrast, the words evaluation and appraisal, suggest a very critical conversation. That's too bad, because though there are exceptions, the evaluation should definitely be more positive and helpful, than negative and critical. Just remember that your overall focus is on helping and encouraging people. More than merely judging them.

I'm not suggesting you sugar coat anything. I'm simply reminding you to be aware of the balance between these two competing needs. When I think about a focus on development, I think about two major things, changes to their job that help them or the team and various types of tools and resources that might support their continued development. In terms of job changes, first think about how to size ongoing goals. For example, if they're an account representative.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/performance-review-foundations/focusing-on-development