News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Face to Face Interview Guide

Started by Badshah Mamun, June 19, 2012, 06:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badshah Mamun

Face to Face Interview Guide

Whether you're looking for your first job or your fifth, you're after an entry level sales position or top management spot, there are some universal rules to successful interviewing. An interview is not a two way street! It is your job to sell yourself with a positive attitude and enthusiasm. Regardless of your initial impression of the job opportunity, your main objective is to obtain a JOB OFFER by outshining the competition. It is impossible to properly evaluate a position before a bona fide offer has been extended. Preparation for an interview should be a serious matter. Interviewers are looking at you not only as a candidate but as a performer in their organization.

Pre-Interview

Go to the library or use the Web and research the company. Find things to discuss during the interview. This impresses the interviewer.
    Know the five year growth of the company and future direction.
    Know the company's financial position, i.e. net worth, stock price etc.
    Know the competitors.
    Know the product line.
    You should call on at least three possible customers to get their opinion of the company and the product. Let the interviewer know this. Tell the interviewer with whom and where you investigated their company.

Attire

Employers reject improperly dressed candidates. Accept the fact that many employers have an unwritten dress code and like to hire properly dressed candidates. Forget your own personal preference. You should dress according to the impression you want to create, i.e., successful, conservative, and business-like.
    Men--Conservative blue or gray suit, white starched shirt, conservative tie with contrasting colors, shined shoes dark socks over calf, avoid aftershave.
    Women--Skirted suit or tailored dress, dress feminine not sexy, avoid excessive make-up and perfumes.
    Hairstyles for both men and women should be modest.
    Men, Facial hair, if any, should be modest and neatly trimmed.
    Your attire/appearance WON'T get the job, but it CAN certainly rob you of it.
        No sports jacket for men.
        No pantsuits for women.
        Dress for your boss's job.
        You can't be TOO conservative.

Timing

Get exact directions to the interview site at least one day ahead of time.
    Be 15 minutes early.
    Be courteous to the staff?especially the secretary. An employer is always influenced by opinions of other employees.

Resume

Take a resume with you even if the interviewer has one.

Do not fold it!
    Offer the resume to the person in a new file folder.
    References
    Take your "that a boy" letters and offer them at the appropriate time.
    When requested, provide a typed list of names, addresses, phone numbers, and letters of personal and professional references.

Introduction

Example: "Good morning, Larry. I am?"
    Shake hands firmly and look the person in the interviewer eyes. Maintain good eye contact during the interview.
    Maintain high energy level.
    Sit up.
    Back straight.
    No coffee, (to spill).
    No smoking.

Note: It is to your advantage if a subject of mutual interest arises, but do not fake knowledge. Be yourself. Poise, confidence, and self-respect are of great importance.

The Site

Motel room: Position yourself for good eye contact, (Don't be afraid to move a chair; it shows positive traits. i.e., control.
    Employer's office: If there is more than one chair, take the one closest to the side of the interviewers desk. The desk is the barrier!
    Bar/Restaurant: Sit across from the person and wait for the interviewer to order drinks before you do. Do not feel compelled to drink if you normally don't drink.

Style

Eye contact! Look directly at the interviewer.
    Listen! Give the person the opportunity to talk. Do not touch anything on the interviewer's desk. Do not fidget with anything you have, such as a pen, tie, etc.
    Relax and be confident (do deep breathing to relax).
    Be enthusiastic-use your eyes, hands, and voice inflection to show support.

Fielding Questions

Be Succinct - Keep your answers brief, concise, and to the point. Everyone gets nervous in an interview, but some try to disguise it by talking-excessively. The more nervous you get, the more you talk. The more you talk, the more you convince the interviewer that you are not right for the position. Avoid negatives by returning to a positive and stress that positive. As an example: "Well, Susan you have had three jobs in five years. Answer: Mary, I made a mistake on that Acme job by not checking their financial situation closely. I have been with U.S. Surgical for two years now and, as you can see, I've done a fine job. I'm seeking a career opportunity that offers greater stability and that's why I'm here."

Be Specific - If you're explaining your accomplishments, try to support your claims by citing figures or specific accomplishments. Ranked #2 out of 10 people in my region; I was $75,000 over quota last year; my W2 has increased x thousands of dollars over the last 2 years. If you're discussing skills or talents that you can bring to the job, give clear examples of how you've demonstrated these abilities in other relevant situations.

Sell Yourself - Now is not the time for humility. It is not bragging, and no one will find it offensive if you cite your achievements or awards or describe unique business programs that you have devised. It's an accepted and expected part of the interview process. Make sure that the interviewer knows about your accomplishments or special experiences. If the interviewer doesn't ask, find a way to bring them into the conversation. Be sure to mention any that aren't listed on your resume. No one else is going to sing your praises, and you usually don't get a second chance in these situations. Now is the time to bring out your ?that a boy' file and show written rankings or letters.

Note: Translate your achievements, accomplishments, and personal qualities into benefits to the employer.

Maintain Credibility - and don't over inflate your responsibility. Don't try to make a low-level position sound as if you were actually the CEO's right-hand man or woman. Most interviewers have a good idea of the responsibilities that accompanied your previous job-especially if you're interviewing in the same industry. If you inflate your position, you'll undermine your entire credibility, and the interviewer will doubt all your other real achievements. Once you're considered deceptive, you won't have any chance at being hired. Always be honest.

Maintain Your Composure - Regardless of what happens in the interview keep calm, poised, and professional. If the interviewer seems to ignore you, don't get flustered. If the interviewer looks unimpressed, don't assume you have lost. If the individual contradicts something you say, explain your position but don't lose our temper or let the interviewer goad you into an argument. Don't become defensive if the interviewer seems to question certain responsibilities or achievements that you claim. It's all part of the game. Your composure may well be tested during the interview.

Pay Attention - Sometimes people are so "charged-up" that they try to anticipate where the interviewer is going. They just jump in with the answer before the interviewer has completed the question. Let the person finish the questions and make sure you know what is being asked. If you're not sure, ask the interviewer to clarify the question. The last thing you want to do is plunge headlong into a story that doesn't give the interviewer the information he's seeking. You'll come across as rattled and confused-not exactly the stuff employer's dreams are made of.

Tell-Me-About-Yourself Questions

Answer these questions in terms of the qualifications required of the job being filled and your business background.
    Keep responses concise and brief.
    Avoid being derogatory and/or negative when asked about previous jobs and bosses.
    "Tell-me-about-yourself" means, Tell me about your qualifications.
        Prepare ahead of time a five to ten minute discussion of your qualifications.
        Discuss your experiences.
        Tell how well you performed (resulting in raises, promotions, innovative designs, sales volume, increased profits, etc.)

Your Personality Questions

Always answer in terms of your qualifications.
    Support your claims by sharing experiences.
    Answer personality questions in terms of ACCURATE ANSWERS supported by past experience.

Salary Questions

Avoid talking salary until the job has been offered.
    Negotiate salary from strength.
    Your present earnings will be on the company application you fill in. Mark the "expected earnings" portion of the application, "Open or Negotiable."
    If unemployed, seek a salary equivalent to your last earnings.
    On the initial interview, you should NOT directly discuss:
        MANAGEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
        FRINGE BENEFITS
        VACATIONS/MONEY

Asking Questions When Interviewing For A Job

Interest Questions

Ask yourself are they related to the job, the company, its products, services and people? An interview is a two-way street. These questions should communicate your interest in the position.

Don't cross-examine the employer.
    Ask questions requiring an explanation. Questions which can be answered with a "yes" or "no" are conversation stoppers.
    Don't interrupt when the employer is answering YOUR question.
    Ask job-relevant questions. Focus on the job, the company, products, services, and people.
    Prior to the interview, write your list of Interest Questions and take them with you.
    Ask about your potential peers, subordinates, and superiors. Take notes.
    Ask the employer how he/she got where they are today.

Job Satisfaction Questions

Do they pertain to the importance of the job, does the authority you'll have match to the responsibility, the reward for a job well done, and the long-range career opportunities?

Don't ask salary questions or about fringe benefits, retirement, or vacations.
    Don't go overboard, four to eight questions of this type should be plenty.
    Do ask about long-range career opportunities.

Past Performance Questions

Ask questions like:

How many people have held this position in the past several years?
    Where are these people now?
    Were they promoted or did they leave the company?

Sale Questions

Ask what the employer wants in a candidates, what experience, educational background, and performance.
    Always ask what personality characteristics the employer desires.
    Make a sales statement based on the employer's prerequisites or desires. (If you lack an asset, sell a compensating asset.)

Ask For The Job

"I can perform the job you want. I've done it before and I've done it well."
    "I'd like to work for you. What else do you need to know to make this happen?"

IF YOU MAINTAIN A "QUESTIONING AWARENESS" YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY ASK THE "RIGHT" QUESTIONS, GIVING YOU A CONSIDERABLE ADVANTAGE WHEN INTERVIEWING.

Close

Assume that you are the right person for the position.
    Summarize all points of agreement.
    Tell the person you want the opportunity and you are sure you could work well with him personally from your initial meeting.
    Close after summary. As an example: "Jim, do you make the final decision?" "Fine, I'm ready to pursue the next step in the interviewing process. Can we see Susan tomorrow?" If the interviewer says they would like to see you again or that the interviewer will be in touch with recruiter, summarize and close again. Tell the person you are ready to pursue the next step and ask for a day's notice that you might coordinate your schedule.

On Your Way Out

1. Thank the person for the time.

2. Shake his hand firmly and look the person in the eyes.

3. Tell the interviewer you look forward to the next interview.

4. Say good-bye to the secretary.

Follow Up

Send a handwritten letter, fax, telegram, or e-mail thanking the interviewer for the opportunity of interviewing with the company and 3 or 4 good reasons to consider you. If this doesn't go out the day of the interview or the next day it won't be worth the paper it's written on.
    If you do not have an answering service or recording device, buy one, or as an alternative, use the number of a friend who has one.

Career oriented people are more interested in gaining valuable experience, advancement, opportunities, and enhanced working environment rather than immediate salary increase.

A lateral salary move, though rare, should always be considered based on career potential.

Review

Make an inventory of what you did and how well you did it.
    Research prospective employer, the nature of the business, its products and people.
    Attire should be conservative and business-like, giving the impression of success and competence.

MOST CANDIDATES ARE NOT EFFECTIVE DURING AN INTERVIEW, BE AN EXCEPTION!

Source: http://www.wgpeople.com/cc_face2face.htm
Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun (Badshah)
Member, Skill Jobs
operation@skill.jobs
www.skill.jobs

Monirul Islam

How to Nail the Face-to-Face Interview
Preparation Phase
The day before your interview, spend some time reevaluating all the roles you've held and the respective activities you have performed. It is natural to have lost some activities from our memory banks as we move up the ladder.
You must be absolutely sure why you plan to quit your present job and intend to join a new organization. You must have a strong reason because a sturdy response is crucial to this question.
Your resume must be printed on a single side of a crisp, white sheet of paper. If you have multiple pages, staple them together. Do not rely on only preparing a single copy of your resume. Get at least three copies at a minimum. You might face a panel of interviewers, and there is always a possibility of your resume copy getting crumpled during travel and handling.
Wear light-colored professional attire that is freshly pressed. The idea is not to have colors that are hard on the interviewer's eyes. If you can wear a suit, do it.
Execution Phase
Be at the interview facility on time. Don't arrive too early (as it might indicate how unoccupied you are) but being late is definitely out of the question.
Greet the interviewer with a firm handshake. Make sure you don't break his bones, but give him a feeling that you are in control. While you do this, keep a smile on your face.
During the conversation with the interviewer, I would recommend that you follow a NLP technique called "modeling" to build a rapport with the interviewer. It follows four simple activities: mirroring, matching, pacing and leading. As per this technique, you would follow the nuances of the interviewer in speed and style of speech, and physical mannerisms. The rapport you can build by following this technique will effect you positively because you lead the discussion rather than the interviewer.
A definite question that the interviewer will ask will involve you going through your resume or asking you for an introduction. Start from your current job and go back. Don't go too far if you have tons of experience. Make sure the trail ends at your highest qualification in academics. Don't bring up personal information unless asked.
During the entire conversation, remember to highlight your strong areas and don't rack up your weaknesses. Speak highly (but truthfully) of your achievements, even if you are repeating yourself. Do not bring up your weaknesses unless asked.
I have never been a big fan of small talk while I interview people. Interviewers are generally pressed for time, and their objective is to identify the viable candidates from the weak ones. Small talk does not go towards this objective. Don't get on the wrong side of the interview by asking irrelevant questions and definitely do not compliment for the heck of it. If there is something you genuinely appreciate, like the office décor, compliment wholeheartedly, but not for the sake of it.
Listen to every word the interviewer has to say. It is paramount that you do this; your answer must be in line with what interviewers ask of you. I have seen some candidates waiting for me to finish so they can start blurting out their opinion or their side of the story. This annoys me, and the feeling is common among all interviewers. On this note, I like to add that you do not interrupt when he/she is speaking. Keep quiet until the interviewer expects you to talk.
Maintain a positive attitude throughout the conversation. For example, when the interviewer asks for the reason that you are quitting your present job, do not say something like "There are too many office politics" or "the compensation is not good enough for my talent." Keep it on the positive side by saying something like, "I have read plenty about your company and would cherish the challenging opportunities that lie ahead."
Stay in control by asking questions on the role you are going to perform, the ladder how it leads up to the CEO, and the growth path. You must show the interviewer that you are interested to know more about the work you are going to perform in the near future.
Closure Phase
Never be the one to bring up compensation and benefits during an interview. Let it come from the man/woman representing the company you intend to join. Although finances are crucial, we interviewers do not want it to be the focus of your attention as a potential employee of our organization, because it may look like your faithfulness would be attributed to money rather than the role you are offered. When the interviewers bring it up, speak up!
At the end of the interview you must be inquisitive enough to ask about the next steps following the interview. You can ask something like, "So, can I expect that HR will get in touch with me for subsequent actions?" By saying this, you are being positive that your interview has gone in the right direction and you are looking forward to what lies ahead.

Source: https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/career/15-tips-on-how-to-nail-a-face-to-face-interview