News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

5 Things Your LGBTQ Co-Workers Wish You Knew

Started by bbasujon, April 19, 2017, 07:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbasujon

1. Not All of Us Use Labels

Some folks have "Coming Out" parties and call themselves gay, lesbian, bisexual, or anything else they'd like! If that's the case, they'll let you know what they identify as when the opportunity arises. Others don't like labels (begins to raise hand). They might be questioning, and they also might be 100% OK with not identifying as anything.

How are you supposed to know whether or not someone wants to identify a certain way? You're not! Like any other personal detail, it's entirely up to your co-worker to decide what to share and with whom. If you need to reference someone without using their name, you can privately ask what pronoun they prefer. No, it's really as simple as asking, "Hey, what pronoun do you prefer?"

It's hard to not want to categorize someone right away, but trust that your colleague will tell you exactly how much they want you to know or what they identify as (if anything at all!).

2. We're Not "Out" to Everyone in the Office

If someone decides to come out to you, it's probably because you're awesome and you listen. Chances are they trust you (a lot), but they don't feel the same way about everyone in the office. Plus, it's a sensitive subject because for as long as people have worked, they've lost their jobs or been rejected for openings simply because they're queer.

So how do you find out who your LGBTQ co-worker told or not? You don't! (See a pattern here?) It's non-essential information to your normal working relationships. In the same way that you'd never casually mention to your colleague that another co-worker is pregnant, you wouldn't slip on someone's sexuality or gender identity.

3. We Don't Want You to Play Matchmaker

You might think, "Hey, it's hard dating. Let me set these two lesbians up." However, this is like finding out a co-worker was on Tinder and you responding, "OMG, I know someone who's on Tinder! You two would totally hit it off." Just because two people you know have one thing in common, doesn't mean they'd be a match.

Yes, there are fewer people we can date, but that doesn't mean we don't have standards in personality type, values, and everything else you care about, too. In the same way you wouldn't introduce your friend to your co-worker, "This is John. He's straight just like you, so you guys should talk!"—you wouldn't set up two queer folks just because they're queer.

Chances are your co-workers don't want to talk about their dating lives at work if they're not already doing it, and plus, matchmaking's a full-time job and you have one already. (If you don't, check out our 10,000 open jobs here.)

4. The Questions You Ask Can Be Really Hurtful

I'll give you a couple: "What's your type?" "So is it a he or a she?" "So who's the guy and who's the girl?"

What sucks most about these is that all of them are a result of simply not knowing. We live in a pretty black and white society. You're either straight or you're gay, you're either a woman or a man—but the truth is there's so much more beyond that. Some of us live in the grey and others travel through the grey.

Let me explain: Who you crushed on when you were in high school is most likely different than who you'd date today (unless you're with your high-school crush, and if that's the case, props for surviving the worst years together). Regardless, you evolve, learn, and adapt to what you like—and that's just us being human.

Often times, answers to these questions don't exist. Maybe people told us that we are supposed to be a woman, but we don't want to be a woman, so we change, adapt, and grow. Maybe both of us have dominant personalities and we're a powerhouse couple with no gender roles attached. We're changing your expectations of how humans look and act based off preconceived notions about gender. We're changing the dynamic of romantic relationships should look like because our stories haven't been written yet.

This has to be said point blank, though: The (pretty common) question "I'm not gay, but if I was, would you want to hook up with me?" always kills me. The equivalent would be your boss saying, "Alright, you're married, but if you weren't would you sleep with me?" It's totally inappropriate (HR calls it sexual harassment) and can be completely avoidable!

You might be asking, "What questions can I ask then?" I'd suggest checking out sites like TheSafeZoneProject for terminology, PFLAG a website for families and friends of LGBTQAIP people, or GLAAD, an organization devoted to shaping conversations about LGBT folks.

5. Keep it Professional

So, you just learned all this information. What should you do next? Try setting up your co-worker with your cousin who one time kissed a girl? Go above and beyond in asking if your colleague met any cute boys this weekend—after asking everyone else "How was your weekend?" No to all of the above. Treat this person as you always have—like your co-worker. (Unless, of course, you've just discovered you were being offensive; if that's the case, change everything.)

Now that you've got a better understanding of what not to do, you might decide it's a good idea to go back and apologize for any offensive things you might've said. Or, you can move forward knowing all of this and simply choose to keep your interactions professional (as they always should be).

Now, this is of course a very high-level overview of the things that you, as our straight cis-gender counterparts should avoid—but there are more things you can do to become an ally and help create safe spaces for some pretty fantastic people. And above all else, remember: This is our place of work so, please, be mindful and be respectful.

Source: https://www.themuse.com/advice/5-things-your-lgbtq-coworkers-wish-you-knew