News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

The secret to writing your CV

Started by Badshah Mamun, June 11, 2012, 06:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badshah Mamun

The secret to writing your CV

I've dusted off my CV, added a page or so and am taking advantage of the work photocopier while I still can ?

The words curriculum vitae mean "course of life", but don't take that literally. Employers are not interested in your journey so far, more whether you can do the job required and fit into their organisation. Ideally it should be no more than two pages.

"Generic CVs don't work," says Corinne Mills, author of You're Hired! How to Write a Brilliant CV. "They should be tailored to each job you apply for. Research the job, organisation and the market in which it operates; jot down relevant information, pluck out parallels with your current position and use this to create your CV."

The jobs I am applying for are similar, but not the same. Should my CV be chronological?

If the job differs in any way and involves new skills, a functional CV is more appropriate. This will include a job history towards the end, detailing dates, positions and key contributions.

After your name and contact details, lead with a profile ? two or three sentences in which you identify yourself and detail key points showing why you are ideal for the role. If employers like what they see, they will read on.

Should I mention I have just been made redundant?

No. When it comes to job history, either put an end date if you've left the company, or if you were serving a notice period put start date to "present".

What's after the profile?

"Provide evidence of your suitability by detailing relevant skills, vocational qualifications and successes, explaining how you have achieved them. Use positive action words," Mills says. A CV is your opportunity to sell yourself so show how well you have performed.

Carole Donaldson, resourcing manager at John Lewis, which recently employed 750 people in Westfield Stratford, says: "It's important for us that the people we interview fully understand what will be expected of them. So if we see a CV which describes how in practice they have used skills and emphasised the qualities needed, it is more likely to stand out. For example, if applying for a job on the shop floor, we would look to see if they have demonstrated any customer service or team skills in previous roles."

Also use numbers to good effect showing the scale and complexity of your responsibilities, for example "managed a team of 15 across the UK".

The job I want requires specific knowledge of a particular software package which I haven't got. Should I ignore it ?

Mills says: "Address it directly, but show why it isn't going to be a problem. For example, highlight your past record of quickly learning new software packages and how you have started to teach yourself the new software."

I have a great picture of me in a tuxedo, should I include this?

You with a champagne glass in your hand, looking over-excited? Leave it out.

Any other don'ts?

If using recruitment databases, don't entitle the piece "curriculum vitae" as they often assume the first two words are your name (unless of course you happen to be Mr or Ms C Vitae).

What about a covering letter?

"Always do a covering letter or email as it is another opportunity to convey your enthusiasm and suitability for the job. Include four to five bullet points providing evidence of relevant skills and achievements and tell employers why you are keen to work for their organisation," says Mills.

Source: http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/article/4369479/the-secret-to-writing-your-cv/
Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun (Badshah)
Member, Skill Jobs
operation@skill.jobs
www.skill.jobs