News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

How to start a career in digital marketing

Started by jahid15-1499, July 28, 2018, 01:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jahid15-1499

Read everything
One of my favorite things about this industry is how open we all are about sharing knowledge and experience.
Before I entered digital marketing, I worked for companies that treated the competition as actual rivals. It always felt very small-minded and petty. It really didn't work for me or fit who I am as a person.
Thankfully, that's rarely the vibe I get in the digital industry.
It's a very open and trusting environment. The feeling is very much one of "all being in this together."

Start a blog of your own
This might feel like a big step – especially this early on – but it's a crazy important one.
Writing your own blog forms part of a steep learning curve – teaching others is widely regarded as one of the best ways to learn, after all.
A blog also acts as evidence of your knowledge and can be invaluable in helping you build connections, and eventually, secure a job.
Remember that at this point, your goal isn't to build a big audience, and it certainly isn't monetization. It's to develop your knowledge and begin creating a portfolio that acts as proof that you know this stuff and cares about learning more.

Get some wins
At some point, possibly quite quickly, you're going to get a feeling for an area or areas you're particularly interested in, and that you feel the best match your skill set.
Hone in on these – you're going to need to roll with them in order to start getting gigs (albeit at this point, they're probably going to be unpaid).

Get a real internship
Once you've got one or two happy "customers" under your belt, it's time to get some real-world, in-house experience.
This is a chance to seriously learn – not just about the industry itself and the work involved in contributing to it – but what it's like to be part of a digital team. It's your opportunity to find out for certain whether this is a path you want to follow.

Find a mentor
A mentor is akin to a personal guide and career coach. They're there to answer your questions, share their experiences, and just generally help you reach the next step in your career.
Unfortunately, getting someone on board with this agreement takes time. It's rarely as simple as approaching someone and saying "Will you be my mentor?" That's a huge ask and a lot of pressure. Even if they say "yes," they might be left wondering "What's next?"
Take control of the dialogue by asking them exactly what you want to know. If they answer you, thank them, wait a few days, and ask them another question.

Attend a marketing event or conference
Events and conferences are great places to learn, but more importantly, they're great places to meet and connect with people.
To find a suitable event, look on meetup.com or try Googling "Marketing conferences in [your location]."
Once you've decided on an event, find out who's attending and shortlist anyone you'd like to speak to. Prioritize people who have the potential to further your career by helping to fulfill the last step in this process – getting a job.

Never stop learning.
This is how you will progress, get promoted, and start earning more money. The wider your skill set, and the more knowledgeable you are about each area, the greater you're earning potential.
It's the manager roles that come with bigger salaries, but if you're after a six-figure salary, you need to be aiming for consultancy and "head of" roles.
That takes time – as it does to get to the top of your game in any field. But in my experience, you can progress much faster in digital than in most disciplines – so long as you're willing to put in some seriously hard work for a few years.

Never stop learning. Never stop trying to better yourself.
And that's it. That's what you need to do to start a career in digital marketing. Good luck – not that you need it. With enough dedication and hard work, you'll make it. Just be sure to come back here when you're a big name in digital to tell me about it!

source : Sujanpatel.com
jahid

Shaha Noor

Sr. Executive
Skill Jobs