News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Exposure Fusion – Best Way To Blend Images

Started by Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU), June 28, 2017, 07:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)

Exposure Fusion – Best Way To Blend Images

Exposure Fusion

This week I am going to talk about a topic that confuses a lot of people. The subject of blending images together from separate images is a tough one. There are a few ways but the main ones are manual blending images together in Photoshop through and the second option is using a third party plug-in to blend images automatically. The latest concept is called Exposure Fusion which can be found within the program Photomatix Pro.

Exposure Fusion is not HDR but is a new concept of processing a series of bracketed images, which result in a low dynamic range image. To summarize it takes the best tonalities from each image in the sequence and combines them to create a single image. To be more specific what is actually happening is that the fusing process assigns weights to the pixels of image in the sequence according to luminosity, saturation, and contrast, and then carefully balances the three to make a single image. In layman's terms what is happening that the best part of each image gets recorded and fused together to combine all of the best elements in final image.

How is Exposure Fusion Different Then HDR?

Exposure Fusion is quite different in many ways then HDR. The only resemblance the two have are that they combine a sequence of bracketed images together. That is where the similarities end. First of all Exposure Fusion is a low dynamic range result rather then a high dynamic range. This means that the final product looks more realistic to how the scene really would like. This means that the shadows maintain a certain amount of shadows and the highlights remain brighter in higher tonalities then a high contrast scene. HDR takes the sequence of images and blends the images seamlessly but does its best to even the tonalities in the extreme tonalities of shadows and highlights. This is what gives HDR the appearance of artificiality and unnaturalness. Exposure Fusion after fusing the images together keeps the tonalities how they would appear if one was to be looking at the actual scene being photographed. When one views a HDR image a keen photography eye can spot the uneven transition between the luminance and can therefore lose the appeal of realism. Now I am not saying that one is better then the other in terms of an artistic point of view but that Exposure Fusion produces results that are truer to the scene that the photographer is trying to capture.

Exposure Fusion Advantages Over HDR

Exposure Fusion processing times takes much less due to a absence of a intermediate HDR image that must be created before one can tone map a HDR image. Thus, processing times are twice as fast when transferring back into Photoshop. The most important advantage in Exposure Fusion is the lack of halos that appear around objects that occur with HDR. Often when combining images HDR produces a very three-dimensional image that looks very impactful but when viewed closer the halos become more evident. As a side note eliminating those halos in HDR can be quite difficult and time consuming. To get around the problem of halos in HDR layer masks and careful brushing is essential.

One very important advantage of Exposure Fusion is that it can combine a series of bracketed images with different depths of field that extend the Depth Of Field in an image and give the perception of more three-dimensional qualities in the image. This presents an advantage to many obstacles when it comes to nature photography. For example, shooting a wide perspective of a scene with wildflowers and a mountain in the distance would normally require a f/16 at least to get everything in focus. The problem arises if there is strong wind or low light and a faster shutter speed is needed to freeze the detail in the foreground wildflowers. It is then necessary to shoot at f/8 for the foreground and combine it with the rest of the images which can be shoot at f/16 to capture the background mountains. Before Exposure Fusion combining a series of images with different Depths Of Fields was limited to only those with the best of Photoshop skills.

Where Can I Find Exposure Fusion?

Exposure Fusion is still fairly new and shows so much promise already that I cannot wait to see what comes next. Presently, Exposure Fusion comes in a few third party programs but not as a plug-in for Photoshop. It presently can be found with PTgui and the preferred Photomatix Pro. If you own a copy of Photomatix Pro, Exposure Fusion comes free with the update to the software. To see more information on Photomatix Pro see above notes to website.

How Do I Get Started With Exposure Fusion

Often the hardest part to any new software is where to begin and how to work it into one's already present workflow. The good news is that Exposure Fusion is much more straightforward then most third party plug-ins for Photoshop. There are a variety of ways to get started but the easiest way is to choose the series of images in your Photo Media browser and drag onto the Photomatix icon in the dock. I use Adobe Bridge that comes with Photoshop so the two work seamlessly for me. I choose the first image of the series and Shift-Click on the last to include the complete series of bracketed images.

https://kevinmcneal.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/exposure-fusion-best-way-to-blend-images/
Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)
Asst. Administrative Officer and Apprentice
Daffodil International University
102/1, Shukrabad, Mirpur Road, Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1207.
Cell: +8801671-041005, +8801812-176600
Email: reyed.a@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd