News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Understand the role of administrative HR

Started by arif, April 21, 2017, 12:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arif

Understand the role of administrative HR

When I was first introduced to the world of HR, I was a receptionist at a startup company that had just hired a consultant to help them grow. When the consultant realized we had no HR systems, she immediately offered me the job of HR Generalist. During this conversation, she advised me that my new role would be tricky because I had to learn to walk a fine line between the employees and the organization. She told me I should always do what was in the best interest of the organization, while at the same time, meeting employee needs. As you may already know, this is a tall order. This conversation has stuck with me throughout my years in HR.

You are paid by the business to do what is best for the organization, but because employees are the most valuable asset, you have to take care of them too. Your job is to implement systems that will meet employee needs and the bottom line. For example, one of your major responsibilities might be administration of benefits. If it is, one of your main goals is to locate a benefits plan that fits within your organization's budget, while ensuring the employee contribution fits within your employee's budget. From a financial standpoint, it might be in the best interest of your company to find the cheapest benefits out there, but from an HR standpoint, giving employees benefits that don't get them what they need ultimately hurts their production, and thus, the organization will suffer.

It is always your job to weigh the best interest of the organization with the best interest of employees, and make decisions that work for both parties, as best as you can. HR duties tend to fall under a variety of rules, depending on the company's needs. You might be an HR Administrator, HR Generalist, HR Manager, or an office manager, responsible for human resources. While job descriptions vary, generally, your duties will include administrating company benefits, updating corporate policies, and ensuring compliance with the laws related to HR.

You might also assist managers with employee performance issues, recruit and interview for open positions, and onboard new hires. You'll also maintain personnel files, document training programs, and a lot more. Often, in small businesses, these duties are coupled with other related tasks, like bookkeeping, serving as an executive assistant, performing operations-related duties, and more. Whatever your responsibilities, always remember that you have an important role in your organization.

It is paramount that you maintain positive relationships with vendors, staff, managers, and leaders, in order to be successful. If you need some help crafting your job description, check out the exercise files, where I've provided a template to help you get started. Now go forth and be amazing.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/administrative-human-resources/understand-the-role-of-administrative-hr