News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

5 Tips For A Successful Photography Career

Started by Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU), April 20, 2017, 09:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)

5 Tips For A Successful Photography Career
[/b][/u]

1. Define Success

Defining your idea of success early-on will help you set goals, and take steps towards achieving them. The word "success" will be different for everyone. For some, success may come in the form of being a full-time photographer, while success for others may involve keeping their "day job" and doing photography part-time, on the side.

2. Goal-Setting

Having a main, overall, big-picture goal in mind for your career as a photographer is a great practice, but for me, personally, I've found that having smaller, short-term goals is crucial in the great scheme of things. Having small goals keeps you inspired and motivated because they can be achieved fairly quickly with enough work. If you don't have small goals to achieve, you run the risk of getting discouraged, and feeling like you aren't doing enough with your photography. When I start to feel like I'm "going nowhere" (I've used that phrase a lot over the past few years!) I try to think of one thing I can do at that moment that will help me reach my long-term goal. It can be something as simple as writing down what I can do now. It can be along the lines of learning a new technique for editing or lighting, or something business-related, like sprucing up my business cards or website.

3. Define Your Brand

One of the great things about photography is that there are endless opportunities for different types of photographers. For example, you can be a wedding/portrait/event photographer, or you may be more interested in shooting stock photography. The most important thing you can do if you are interested in being a wedding/portrait photographer, is networking. Give your card to everyone. Promote your website/Facebook page until you are blue in the face. Have booths at wedding shows. Most importantly, build a solid client base. Achieving success in this arena can often take years, so be persistent and patient.

If you are interested in stock photography, look into the policies of companies such as Getty or Stocksy. 

On the other hand, you may be more interested in fine art photography, with having your work shown in galleries being your main objective. If this is where you see yourself fitting in, submit your work to as many calls for submissions as possible. The Society for Photographic Education has an extensive list of open calls.

4. Stay Informed

While freedom of expression is essential with any type of creative work, being informed of current trends is also important. Most of your clients will be drawn to the trends they are seeing on Pinterest, Etsy, and what they see in any number of lifestyle magazines. I encourage you to stay true to your own style, but finding ways to incorporate current trends into your own unique style of photography will help you reach a broader audience.

The same thing goes for galleries. Different galleries are looking for different types of photography, so, if you are interested in showing in galleries, do some research before you start submitting to find the galleries that will be most likely to show your work
5. Be Flexible

Sometimes, you may find that your goals, and your definition of success, will change over time. Let me tell you this: there is nothing wrong with that!

Source:https://www.lightroompresets.com/blogs/pretty-presets-blog/12497929-5-tips-for-a-successful-photography-career
Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)
Asst. Administrative Officer and Apprentice
Daffodil International University
102/1, Shukrabad, Mirpur Road, Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1207.
Cell: +8801671-041005, +8801812-176600
Email: reyed.a@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd