News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Real-Life Winning Techniques

Started by arif, April 18, 2017, 05:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arif

After just two years at Verizon, John H. Sarc, 37, was promoted to lead engineer, network services, overseeing 19 people. Thinking back on his career track, Sarc believes that one of the reasons for his success was because he went beyond what was expected of him. "In my previous job as a manufacturing engineer, I was encouraged—and curious—to expand out beyond what I would normally do. So I got involved in projects that either crossed over to my department or had nothing to do with it. This helped me learn the ins and outs of my company and its politics. Of course, my first priority was my own job, so I always made sure I did that first."

Branching out is something Sarc does to this very day, and it's a move Taguchi applauds. "Moves that take you outside of your comfort zone and stretch you—make you learn new things, challenge you to the maximum, or give you new perspective—are great. I call this the 80/20 rule. Make moves in which you can use your strengths and experience to perform well (80%) and that will give you head room to stretch (the 20%)."

Education also helps to keep your skills up to date and relevant. Sarc holds an M.B.A. in information systems and, after arriving at Verizon, earned a master's in telecommunications management. "It's all part of staying ahead of the game in this ever-changing world," he remarks.

When contemplating a job switch, ask yourself why. Consider the stability of the company or industry you're getting into (remember the dotcom boom and bust?). Avoid making rash decisions just because you had a bad day—or week—at work. "I have found it very helpful to write out a pros and cons list," says Sarc. "List the pros of your company and the cons, as well as the pros and cons of your reasons for leaving."

If your situation is the opposite—you want to stay with your current company but don't know how to make the next move—Sarc advises to learn as much as possible by volunteering for projects that can be cross-functional with other departments. "Branch out, make contacts and get yourself known. This way, if an opening comes up in a department you collaborated with, you can ask someone in that department to recommend you for the job. Or someone might even recommend you without you knowing it!"

Self-assessment comes into play as well. What qualifications do you need to get to the next stage? "Analyze the needs and requirements of the next level you're aspiring to and take stock of where you are now," says Taguchi. "What are the gaps? How do you need to develop in order to have what the next level takes?" Taguchi points out that the resources you need to answer these questions can be found within your own company. "Seek out advice and input as well as support from your manager, colleagues who have made moves to the next level and who will share their lessons learned with you."

Source: https://goo.gl/oPZEqu