News:

Skill.jobs Forum is an open platform (a board of discussions) where all sorts of knowledge-based news, topics, articles on Career, Job Industry, employment and Entrepreneurship skills enhancement related issues for all groups of individual/people such as learners, students, jobseekers, employers, recruiters, self-employed professionals and for business-forum/professional-associations.  It intents of empowering people with SKILLS for creating opportunities, which ultimately pursue the motto of Skill.jobs 'Be Skilled, Get Hired'

Acceptable and Appropriate topics would be posted by the Moderator of Skill.jobs Forum.

Main Menu

Fix typos and use QuickType- iPhone and iPad Essential Training

Started by Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU), April 18, 2017, 12:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)

Fix typos and use Quick Type- iPhone and iPad Essential Training

Let's take a look at how iOS 10 can assist you with the inevitable typos that will occur when you're using the keyboard. I'm gonna open up the notes app. And you can see here, I've started typing a note of things to do today. You can just press return to go down a couple of lines. Now, before I continue, let's go to settings, general, and then keyboard. Here I'm gonna turn off predictive text for a moment. And we'll go back to notes. So what that did, was it hid the bar of word suggestions that appears above the keyboard. We'll get back to that momentarily, but I want to first look at how to work with text without that, and then you can decide whether to keep that on or off.

Right, so on this next line, I'm gonna type the phrase In no particular order. Notice here that the iPhone has offered a suggestion. I've typed enough of the word particular that the iPhone is guessing what I mean to type here. If the suggestion is correct, I just press space and the word is completed for me. If that wasn't the word I wanted, I could have just continued typing and ignored the suggestion. But if you did accept the suggestion by accident, or if you change your mind, just tap the delete button and the previous version of the word you typed will appear.

If that's what you want, just tap it, but in this case, I do want the word particular so I'll leave it as is and tap space and finish typing this line. But the iPhone suggestions and corrections are one of the key factors in being a fast and efficient typist on it's keyboard. Even if you've misspelled a word, the iPhone can usually figure out what word you meant based on the letters near the ones you've typed. So if I type something like, pick up laundry, but I deliberately misspell the word laundry, notice it immediately suggests the correct spelling of laundry.

I just tap space and the change is instantly made. It's important to remember that pressing space is telling the iPhone that it's suggestion is correct. If the suggestion is not correct, you want to tap the suggestion to remove it. Also iOS 10 has a universal spell checker, so in most apps, misspelled words will be underlined with red dotted lines like you see in many word processors. So for example, if I tap delete and deliberately misspell laundry again, but I tap the suggestion to close it and press space, notice the word gets underlined.

So when I tap that word, a suggestion for the properly spelled version appears. I'll tap that to correct my spelling. Also note that your device will remember which suggestions you've ignored and it will also learn the words that you use most often that it doesn't recognize and add them to it's internal dictionary. So after time it will stop trying to correct words that you've told it are not typos. Now, don't take this to mean that once you get good at this your device will catch every typo you make. You're going to leave plenty of typos behind as you type so it's important to pay attention to what you're typing. All right, so that's pretty much how typing and auto-correction have worked in iOS since the beginning.

But here in iOS 10, there's a feature called quick type, which I'll open by going back to settings and turning predictive text back on. And as you can see that places this bar above the keyboard. And if I go down to the next line, you can see it already has some suggestions in it for how I might want to start my next line of text. Now on one hand, quick type works much like an alternate version of what we just did. It'll offer suggestions for words that you're in the process of typing or possibly misspelling. But it's coolest ability is to predict the next word you're going to type before you even start typing it.

So for example, I'll just delete this line again. And I'll start typing it again. So after typing the work pick, notice there are three suggestions here, up, me and a. In this case I want the work up, so I'll tap it. And it's instantly added to my text. Quick type then immediately offers suggestions for the next word, the, a, or your. None of these are what I want, so I'll just keep typing. Now, in this case I had to type at least L-A-U before the correct word popped up as a suggestion. But now I can suggest it over here on the right.

And there it is. Quick type also learns the way you write and the words you use most frequently. So as you continue to use it, the words you most commonly use will start to pop up more frequently and more quickly as you type. Quick type will also fix obvious or what it thinks are obvious misspellings right away as you type. For example on the next line I'll type Email writing samples to Steve. But I'm gonna deliberately misspell the word writing. Notice the correctly spelled a version of the word is highlighted in the quick type bar. Tapping space at this point, automatically corrects that word.

Now if you wanted to leave a word spelled exactly the way you typed it, for example, I'll finish typing this sentence, But I'll leave Steve spelled with a lowercase letter. Notice it wants to correct it with an uppercase letter, and because that suggestion is highlighted, if I were to press space, that would be auto-corrected. But if I instead want it to stay as is, I'll tap the version here on the left that's in quotes. And that leaves it as is. Now, quick type has been around for a few versions of iOS at this point. But in iOS 10, it's gotten even more powerful and intelligent. It can now base it's suggestions on the context of what you're typing, and the information found in other areas of your device.

For example, maybe I'm chatting with someone in the messages app, and they ask me for my friend Nick's email address. I could start typing Nick's email is, and instantly I see suggestions for the email address for the Nick's that I have in my contacts. And I can just tap one to automatically place it. And you'll see other things like that pop up from time to time when you're doing things like planning a meeting, or letting someone know where you are. You might get automatic suggestions to share your location or to create an event on your calendar. Right, so that's how to work with text with and without predictive text on and how quick type works.

Now there are also some important setting to understand in case typing and editing text aren't working the way you expect. Let's go back to settings, general, keyboard. So this is where you find all the controls for auto-correction. And as you can see, they're all on by default. Auto-capitalization is why my iPhone capitalized the first letter of each line. Auto-correction is why it automatically corrects misspelled words with the correct spelling of the words when I press space. Check spelling obviously checks your spelling. With enable caps lock on, a quick double tap of the shift key on the keyboard locks the letters to all caps, so you can quickly type out acronyms or yell at someone via text.

So if I double tap the shift key here, caps lock is now on, and I can type in all caps. Again, if you prefer not to see the quick type bar, you can turn off predictive text here. Character preview is the option that let's you see a larger version of the key you're pressing, so you can easily make sure you're pressing the correct key. So whenever I type a letter, that larger version of the letter you see above the key is what we're talking about. And the period shortcut is found here as well. With that on, typing two spaces inserts a period so you don't have to hunt for the period button.

All right there's one last setting I want to mention here. Earlier I was saying how iOS 10 will learn words it doesn't recognize so it doesn't constantly try to correct words that you've previously told it not to. Now there may be times when you've typed words by accident that are clearly misspelled, that the iPhone then tries to suggest since you've misspelled them several times. If that happens, you want to go to settings, general, and reset. Here you can tap reset keyboard dictionary. But you can see, we'll reset all the custom words the keyboard learned from you. But be aware that this means the dictionary will also have to relearn all the legitimate custom words you created as well.

So don't reset your dictionary unless you really have to. Also iOS 10 will actually notice if you haven't used a custom word in awhile, and remove it from the dictionary after some time. So if you can live with an occasional invalid suggestion from the dictionary for awhile, eventually the misspelled word will be deleted by your device, and you won't be bothered by it again.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/ios-10-iphone-and-ipad-essential-training
Reyed Mia (Apprentice, DIU)
Asst. Administrative Officer and Apprentice
Daffodil International University
102/1, Shukrabad, Mirpur Road, Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1207.
Cell: +8801671-041005, +8801812-176600
Email: reyed.a@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd